1. Paying attention to them when they are expressing their opinion, especially when they are expressing something they are not happy about.
2. It does not matter whether the matter is trivial or life-changing, just seek out their opinion.
3. Celebrate their triumphs. Make a big deal out of every of their victories and achievements.
4.This is not to say that you disregard the wrong things they do. It just means that in trying to correct them, you make conscious efforts to you leave out the condescending comments.
Their weaknesses are not meant to be known by others when you can help them grow past it. That is what respect is all about.
6. Always speak well of them in public. Always.
7. Everything that is important to them should be important to you.